***PAGE 2 IS PURELY FOR 2.1 CONTENT, and will probably contain OUTDATED info, only use this if you’re new and gearing up for Turn 6 onwards***
This guide is what we at FFXIVguild.com have determined to be the ideal gear for a Black Mage given the possible stat combinations. This however, does NOT necessarily mean it is the “Best in Slot”.
The ideal column is an entire set but the alternative columns are in a per slot basis only and are not to be considered as an entire set.
What stats are important to a Black Mage?
- Accuracy – The first thing you need to max out. As a caster, you need an accuracy of about 434 for Bahamut’s Coil turn 5.
- Critical Hit Rate – Black Mages hit slow but hit hard. This makes movement based fights a problem. Crit will give more bang for buck on your skills.
- Spell Speed – Caster gear is pretty geared for Spell Speed. With our current list, it comes a close second to Critical Hit Rate.
Both crit and Spell Speed are at around ~500 with this gear combination.
Why did you choose this gear combination?
As with all of our guides, priority number one is reaching your accuracy cap. With this gear combination, is 430 without food. After that, it was trying to get the most critical hit chance possible.
If at all possible, try to grab all the pieces that have both crit and determination. If you have to sacrifice a stat for accuracy, make it determination.
What do I spend Tomes of Mythology on as a Black Mage?
You will want to purchase things based on how deep it is in coil and also what gives you the biggest upgrade in that certain slot.
- Helm – Ideal for this slot based on our table
- Neck – This drops in turn 5.
- Boots – The Allagan Boots of Casting has the exact same stats. Pick this up if you haven’t looted one.
- Accessories – Grab the rest of the pieces you need.
You may have to pick up some of the alternative pieces while waiting for the ideal ones in coil.
What secondary stats should Black Mage get?
As mentioned before, Black Mages hit hard but hit slow. They have the potential to have huge damage output if their free skills proc, Firestarter & Thundercloud. Getting more damage gives you more value per skill.
- Determination – is the only stat remaining. This is a linear increase in damage. More damage is better. It takes about 5 points of DET to equal 1 INT.
This page will of course be updated as the game progresses and patches, and more gear will be introduced into the game.