Let’s all admit, we want our characters to look good right! Dyeing has always been an important part of every MMO, it promotes choice and differentiates your character from the rest.
Ok, so a lot of folks have been asking us… How do I dye in FFXIV ARR? Where do I go to dye? Who gives the dye quest? How come I can’t apply dye? Can you walk me through how to get dye? Where is the Coffer & Coffin? Where is Western Thanalan? Where is Vesper bay… You get the point… So here it is, the much awaited step by step FFXIV A Realm Reborn Dye Guide!
Please note that the Dye system can only be unlocked by Completing the Quest: Color Your World
- You must be at least Level 15
- You have access to Ul’dah – or have passed the Level 15 story quest to gain access via Airship to travel to Ul’dah
- Finish the Quest to unlock Dye system
- Of course, have some Dye in your inventory!
Quest to unlock Dye system: Color Your World
1. Go to Vesper Bay in Western Thanalan (see Map below)
- From Ul’dah, exit Gate of Sultana aka Western Thanalan
- Head to the NW of the map, you will see Vesper Bay (don’t forget to sync with the Aetheryte in Horizon)
2. Speak to Sweigym near the plaza of Vesper Bay (Pictured above)
- To complete this quest you need to give Sweigym Orange Juice
- Where to get Orange Juice? There are many ways to get Orange Juice, and in case you do not have a few in your inventory the closest place to buy is in Central Thanalan – The Coffer & Coffin. Take a Chocobo to Horizon and walk a bit to Central Thanalan. (Edit: You can also buy Orange Juice in the ‘Merchant and Mender’ in Vesper Bay)
- When in the Coffer & Coffin, buy Orange Juice from the ‘Alehouse Wench‘ – stock up on Food while you’re at it!
(Pictue of Alehouse Wench in the “Coffer & Coffin”)
3. Head back to Sweigym and complete the Quest! You can now begin Dyeing! Below, you can find a map summarizing the process.
Q. How do you change dye in FFXIV A Realm Reborn?
- After successfully completing the Color Your World quest, a new action will be available in your Action & Traits screen called Dye.
- Simply use that action and an Item Dying screen will pop up which will show you all items in your inventory which can be colored. (Note that not all equipment can by Dyed)
- There are different shades of Dye’s available according to what type of Dye you have in your inventory, click the dye you wish to use and hit the button ‘Dye‘
Q. Where do I buy/get dye in FFXIV A Realm Reborn?
There are Dye vendors in each town. All of them are located in the respective marketplaces of each town. Or in Vespa Bay itself!
- Ul’dah: Nanabe <Independent Merchant>
- Limsa Lominsa: <Unsynrael>
- Gridania: Alaric <Independent Tinkerer>
Q. How does Dye look like?
Here is a gallery showing how Dye colors could look like (Note that dye color on clothes will change based on what the base color is so make sure to experiment until you get the right look)
6 thoughts on “FFXIV ARR: Guide on How to Dye in a Realm Reborn!”
It’d be a lot more helpful, if instead of telling people to buy OJ in Central Thanalan,tell them to buy it right in Vespa Bay… why even list Central Than if it’s right there next to the quest giver?
Thanks! This guide was made roughly 3 years ago so it does need some updating. Changes have been made
The NPC in Limsa Lominsa for dyes is Unsynrael
You can also walk 20 steps and get OJ from the merchant stand in the same area.
You can also get the orange juice in town when you first get to ul’dah