403 Issues SHOULD BE SOLVED: After a very convoluted hunt to discover why and how this was happening - I took a rather extreme approach to squash the problem. There should be no more of this issue going forward.
Well, you’re playing a Final Fantasy game – you’re bound to get a Chocobo some time, right? Well, if you’re here – then you’re well on your way to a feathered friend. In our FFXIV Chocobo Guide, you’ll learn a few things about them, primarily How to Unlock and get your Chocobo (Mount), and how to get your Battle Chocobo Companion.
It all starts here! This quest starts pretty much everything chocobo-centric.
The quest is “My Little Chocobo”, location depends on which Grand Company you’re in. It’s always in your GC Headquarters!
So that’s Limsa for Maelstrom, Gridania for Twin Adder, and Ul’dah for Immortal Flames.
My Little Chocobo Requirements:
- You must be at least Level 20.
- You must be part of a Grand Company.
- You should have completed the Level 20 story quest ‘Hero in the Making‘. (Pretty irrelevant, as this quest is what gives you the right to join a GC)
Completing “My Little Chocobo” Quest
After pledging allegiance to your chosen Grand Company, speak to your Grand Company Commander to get the quest
Nowadays, you only need 200 company seals to purchase a Chocobo Issuance.
After you get 200 seals, purchase a Chocobo Issuance from your Grand Company Quartermaster.
Present the Chocobo Issuance to the stablemaster at the Chocobo Stable located in the city of your allegiance and receive a Chocobo Whistle.
Name your new Chocobo, and there you have it!
Congratulations! You’re now the proud owner of your very own Chocobo!
The Chocobo mount is likely one of the first mounts most players get. You can access this mount, and others, from the Character > Mount Guide menu, where you can place your mount into your hotbar for easy access.
Customize your Chocobo’s look via the barding system!
Character > Compation > Appearance tab.
While mounting your Chocobo is one thing – fighting alongside your plumed buddy is certainly another! Not all new players know about this, but it’s here! Formally, the “Battle Chocobo” system is called the “Companion” system.
The quest to unlock the companion system is called
“My Feisty Little Chocobo”, located at
Gridania, South Shroud – Camp Tranquil (17,28).
My Feisty Little Chocobo Requirements
- You must be at least Level 30.
- You must have completed “My Little Chocobo” (For the chocobo mount)
Quest Completion notes
Where do you buy Gysahl Greens? To complete the quest AND use your Chocobo in battle, you’re gonna need to use these. Here’s a basic example of where to buy ’em.
- Gridania: Maisenta – Vendor NW of Aetheryte Plaza
- Limsa Lomania: Bango Zango – Only vendor in Aetheryte Plaza
- Ul’dah: Roarich – Vender SE of Aetheryte Plaza, Ruby Road Exchange
Basically, these “basic vendor NPCs” sell them, and pretty much every major questing hub in the future.
Combat Chocobo Companion FAQ
How to summon your chocobo, or how to fight with a Chocobo?
- use a Gysahl Green to summon your chocobo. These are in your inventory, and can be placed on a hotkey.
- You can order your Chocobo to take on different roles in the party (Free, Attacker, Defender, and Healer Stances), using special commands that you can access in the Actions & Traits screen, click on Companions.
- Combat chocobos last a set period of time per Gyashl Green consumed, until felled in battle, or withdrawn.
Back in the day, Chocobo companions had a lot of BS surrounding it. You can’t queue up and they take up a party space! Plus other little annoyances that thankfully they patched out!
Can a Chocobo gain EXP and skills? What’s the best way to level them up?
Yes they gain EXP and skills. Discussion about these is found below. Best EXP for chocobos? Honestly, I can list down all the ways, in terms of “value”, in my perspective.
- Weekly Challenge Logs – the two “Bosom Buddy” entries are the single best way to get EXP for your battle chocobo hands down.
- Daily Training – I’m super lazy to do this, but any FC with a chocobo stable can make use of this feature. I think you gain 1% of your level with this? Care to chime in? it’s been a while since I did this.
- Killing mobs – Please don’t do this purely for leveling your chocobo. Just remember to keep him summoned while you’re in the outside world (doing FATE’s etc). Again, if you grind solely for the purpose of Chocobo EXP, that’s insane. Its SUPER SLOW.
Combat Chocobo FAQ: Best Skills?
Well, this question was bound to come up. Chocobo skills are hard to come by as the game progresses, as they level up super slowly. This makes Chocobo SP (Skill Points, presumably) pretty valuable. If I was to give you a ROUGH GUIDELINE:
Healer (up to a point) > DPS (up to a point) > Tank (up to a point)
Why this priority? Healer is useful to almost every class, Tanks and DPS moreso. The times they are useful are SUPER NOTICEABLE. Allowing you to possibly solo content you previously could not have.
DPS is of course, “basic as it gets” since any extra DPS is welcome. However, this doesn’t come close to the potential upside of a healer chocobo. A tiny fraction faster with DPS chocobo is a lot worse than “making something previously impossible, possible” which is the ceiling for a healer chocobo.
Primarily invest in Healer and DPS Chocobo skills nodes!
Tank is almost utterly useless in its current state. It’s a junk version of DPS. I only traverse this tree for the stats. Try it out if you don’t believe me. Or maybe try it out for research sake. Every time I’ve gone back and did it – the tank tree sucked badly. Basically, they can’t take / hold aggro for the life of ’em!
I can place my own personalized skill order here in the future, but honestly… is it even needed…
Chocobo Flying Quest? (Discontinued)
Back in the day you needed a quest to unlock flight functionality on your GC issued chocobo. Now, I don’t think this is the case.
The quest was removed from the game and I’m pretty sure they give the GC chocobo flight by the time you’re allowed to fly on any mount at the map you’re in.
Typically, this unlocks for A Realm Reborn tier content at L50 MSQ, and for each expansion and map afterward after attuning to their respective “Aether Current” system.
Summary & Closing
Well that’s about it regarding Chocobos in FFXIV. Good luck leveling ’em up, coloring ’em up, and dressing ’em up! If you think we should be adding or correcting something on here, feel free to let us know!
Join our IRL Cross-World Linkshells (socials lol):
- Instagram (@ffxivguild) - We just rezzed our Insta, check in for more coming soon!
- Twitter (@FFXIVguild) - Finally un-boomering myself because our Twitter is back.
- Facebook (/FFXIVguild) - Like us on our OG social.
Contact us about anything and everything. Don't be shy! Love our guides and want to let us know? Got questions or corrections? Suggestions for improvement? TALK TO US! How, you say?
Comment below if it's about this guide. Message us on any of our socials above about anything. We're organizing our email situation if you're into that.